Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Super 8 (2011)

Movies, movies... I watch all the movies I can. Many of them are movies that I have seen before and, I find myself surprised having very different reactions. I see movies not only on theaters but from Netflix, Redbox, libraries, cable... sometimes I devour three or more movies per day. So, I decided to write short reviews trying to catch up with my voracious viewing habits, so that at least I leave some sort of record.

I decided to begin with Super 8, an entertaining movie directed by J.J. Abrams.



A group of kids is on a hurry trying to make a Super 8 movie --the more accessible film format prior to the popularization of video recording-- to participate in an amateur movie contest. When the group starts to film in a train station, they witness a spectacular accident that is inadvertently recorded in the film, revealing a supernatural edge to the whole situation. Much like the bunch of teen friends that we typically find in Spielberg movies, Super 8 makes a good job of mixing a science fiction plot with typical teen issues and holding the spectator entranced for a good part of its running time. The young actors do a terrific job but the subplots regarding the adults are kind of lame, and the same can be said about the monster/alien and the clumsy military intervention that follows. The spectacular special effects come to the rescue though, and you may say that you had a good time before the final credits start to roll. In many regards Super 8 feels like a homage to the summer blockbusters of the 70's and 80's that attempted to turn the cinema into a sort of mindless, massive entertainment with simple plots and amazing special effects to draw multitudes into the movie theaters. This is no Jaws though, or E.T. which felt real and genuinely moving. But Super 8 is very entertaining if you do not expect to find too much depth. But who is expecting it, anyways!

No comments:

Post a Comment